Certified teachers in Nova Scotia have the option to increase the "level" of their teacher's certificate sequentially to any of the following levels of teacher certificate classification:
- Advanced Teacher’s Certificate 1 (Section 38)
- Advanced Teacher’s Certificate 2 (Section 39); and
- Advanced Teacher’s Certificate 3 (Section 40).
In Nova Scotia there are four regulated methods by which a certified teacher can "upgrade" their certificate classification:
- Degree program (includes graduate diplomas)
- Certificate program
- Integrated program and;
- Nova Scotia Instructional Leadership Diploma Program.
Each of these programs are defined in the regulations [see clauses 2(2)(a), (b) and (g) below] and are considered to be upgrading programs [see clause 2(2)(m)]. For ease of reference, the following definitions are provided: