Teachers must obtain pre-approval for a certificate program to be eligible for an increase in certificate classification.
Section 2(1) of the Teacher Certification Regulations defines certificate programs as follows:
"Certificate Program” means a program of studies concerning public education consisting of at least 5 full university courses (30 credit hours), any of which may be at the undergraduate level, or the approved equivalent, that are developed as an in-service experience for teachers, designed by or with a university, including credit courses in either or both:
- academic disciplines taught in the public schools or other approved disciplines related to public school education, or
- professional studies
Because certificate programs were developed to be a means by which a teacher added new or needed subject fields to their list of teachable subjects, one of criteria reviewed for pre-approval is a teacher's previous studies. That is, if you are already qualified to teach a subject (you hold a major or minor endorsation in a subject or it's equivalent), you would not be eligible to take a certificate program in that subject area.
All certificate programs are expected to meet regional centre for education/CSAP needs and as such, are developed in cooperation with at least one Nova Scotia regional centre for education/CSAP. For this reason, there are currently no certificate programs approved for delivery by a university outside of Nova Scotia.
The current list of certificate programs that hold Ministerial approval includes:
- Acadia University Certificate in Teaching Mathematics (Grades 4-9)
- Dalhousie University Certificate in Technology Education
- NSCAD Visual Arts Certificate for Teachers
- St. Mary's University Certificate in Linguistics
- St. Francis Xavier University Certificate in Elementary Mathematics Pedagogy
- St. Francis Xavier University Certificate in Outdoor Education
- Cape Breton University Certificate in High School Mathematics Education *NEW*
Note: Teachers are reminded to review the pre-approval process mentioned above.
The Application for Approval - Upgrading program can be found at the following link: