Approved degree programs are defined under Section 2 of the Teacher Certification Regulations:
“Degree Program” means a program of studies to receive:
- a graduate diploma,
- a masters in
- a teachable subject as defined in the Public School Program (PSP), or
- education, or
- a doctoral degree from a recognized university.
Please note - with regards to a masters in a teachable subject area as defined by the PSP programs must conform closely to the PSP listing of academic subject disciplines and fields. For example, Health Education is a teachable discipline in Nova Scotia but Health Administration is not, so Health Administration programs would not meet the requirements for upgrade program approval. The Office of Teacher Certification would write to inform you accordingly should you submit a request for program approval.
Some suggestions you may wish to consider before applying for program pre-approval:
- Please know the courses included in each program and make sure they meet with your study plans.
- Before considering any upgrading program (degree or one of the other upgrading options) a tentative career development plan is recommended so that your studies will have a purpose and direction.
- Review the program to ensure the studies provides the best option for your career plan.
The Application for Approval - Upgrading Program can be found at the following link: